In the midst of winter, we often find ourselves craving meals that are warm and comforting. And let’s be honest, if they also require minimal effort, you won’t hear us complaining. This simple yet flavorful butternut squash soup from Alexandra Kaehler does just the trick. Even if you are cooking inept we promise you can make this simple recipe, and your family and friends will be glad you did. Serve alongside a salad or sandwich for lunch or as a first course for dinner. However you choose to enjoy it, we’re sure you’ll love this delicious recipe.
3.5 pounds of butternut squash
1 32 oz. container of chicken broth
2 garlic gloves
1/2 white onion
2 tbsp of olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Put olive oil at the bottom of a big pot, and add chopped onion, shallot and garlic on low until onion is transparent, be careful not to burn the garlic
2. Add cubed butternut squash and carton of chicken broth, cover and cook on low until butternut squash is soft (usually about 20-30 minutes)
3. Use an immersion blender or transfer to a blender to puree until smooth.
4. Add salt and pepper to taste, let simmer on low for another 10 minutes
5. Serve hot, topped with parmesan cheese or the garnish of your choice.