The DIY Files: Glitter Mousepad and Pencil Cup
Yesterday, photographer, designer, and blogger Sarah Dickerson invited us into her lovely home office that she designed for herself and husband Tanner. With a perfect blend of functionality and style, Sarah was able to achieve the cheerful vibe she was going for without breaking the bank. Along with scouring flea markets and Craigslist (did you see those swivel chairs?), Sarah kept costs down by relying on her skills in the art of DIY.
Today, we are thrilled to be sharing some of Sarah’s DIY secrets! Feast your eyes on not one but two projects that she dreamed up for her very own office. With a few supplies from your local craft store, you can begin to brighten up your workspace in just minutes. Simple enough for even the most novice of crafters, these glittery desk accessories will motivate you to approach the daily grind with a bit more sparkle.
DIY Glitter Mousepad
1. Use an ink pen to draw/trace the desired shape of your mousepad onto the corkboard square.
2. Carefully cut out your mousepad using sharp scissors or an xacto knife.
3. Using a paintbrush, apply a coat of Modge Podge to the mousepad.
4. Sprinkle the desired amount glitter over the Modge Podge, and let it set for about 20 minutes or until the glitter is stuck in place.
5. To seal in the glitter, apply a generous coat of Modge Podge. Remember to coat the entire topside of the pad so that your glitter doesn’t come loose later.
6. Let everything dry for about 30 minutes or until the pad is no longer tacky, and you’re done!
DIY Glitter Pencil Cup
Small Glass Cup
Martha Stewart Non-Toxic Craft Paint (make sure it lists “glass” on the back)
Martha Stewart Satin Finish (optional)
2 Plates (for easy application and clean up)
1. Apply 1-2 coats of paint to the outside of your glass cup, and let it dry. If you would like to add a top coat for lasting durability, apply a satin finish, and let it dry.
2. Poor a puddle of Modge Podge onto plate #1, and pour a generous amount of glitter onto plate #2.
3. Once the cup is dry, place it face down onto plate #1.
4. Carefully lift the cup straight up (watch out for any glue drips), and then place it face down on plate #2. Use your fingers to gently push the glitter against the rim of the cup ensuring that it covers all of the glue.
5. Lift the cup straight up from the glitter, and set it upright to dry.
6. While you’re waiting, pour any extra glue or glitter back in their original containers.
7. Once the glue is completely dry, add in your favorite pens and pencils, and you’re all set!