We wholeheartedly embraced the fall last week with three mouthwatering recipes (a delectable squash soup, roasted cauliflower, and grilled chicken sausage with shredded kale and apples—yum!). Yes, this is the season of seasons for cozy meals and Sarah Kudlack of Juniper & Dash is reminding us to keep our snacks healthy and homemade (because we might have a tendency to splurge on apple cider donuts). Even though she admits, “I’ve always been intimidated with making chips of any sort,” Alexandra found an easy way to make crispy vegetable chips at home and we’re excited she’s sharing it today! Her recipe for homemade beet and sweet potato chips couldn’t be simpler and we love the vibrant colors of this healthy snack.
Beet & Sweet Potato Chips
By: Sarah Kudlack
4 medium beets
2 medium sweet potatoes
1 tbsp olive oil
Salt to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Slice beets and sweet potatoes into thin layers, about 1/8 of an inch (use a mandolin if possible)
3. Place slices in a large bowl and toss with olive oil
4. Evenly spread slices on a baking sheet (be sure they are not stacked on top of one another) and season with salt
5. Bake for 30-40 minutes, flipping the chips halfway through. Remove when beets lighten in color. They will crisp up when cool.
6. Store in an airtight container for up to a week.