Saturday is National Donate Your Hair Day
We are so excited to be partnering with Pantene Beautiful Lengths to let you know all about National Donate Your Hair Day which is November 22, 2014.
Created in 2006, Pantene Beautiful Lengths inspires people to grow, cut and donate their healthy hair to create free, real-hair wigs for women who have lost their hair due to cancer treatments. To date, Pantene Beautiful Lengths has received nearly 600,000 hair donations from generous men, women, and children, and, in partnership with HairUWear, has provided the funds to turn these hair donations into free, real-hair wigs for women undergoing cancer treatment.
The American Cancer Society distributes the wigs through its nationwide network of wig banks at no cost. Since its inception, 34,000 real-hair wigs have been provided to female cancer patients.
- Minimum 8”
- No dyes, bleaches, or chemicals
- No more than 5% gray
Preparing Your Hair: DO
- Use a conditioner after every wash to help keep hair moisturized and protected against damage.
- Use a spray, leave-in conditioner for extra protection when using heated hair appliances.
- Look for new technology in your drying and styling tools to help minimize damage.
- Avoid excessive teasing of hair, as it can uplift cuticles, making them fragile and susceptible to breakage.
- Use deep-conditioning treatments once a week, or as often as needed, to help minimize split ends and keep hair in top condition.
Preparing Your Hair: DON'T
- Use a brush on wet hair when you step out of the shower; once hair is washed and conditioned, use a comb with smooth, wide-set teeth to gently detangle hair, working from tip to root.
- Attempt to blow-dry soaking wet hair immediately; to expedite your blow-out process and help prevent thermal damage, towel-wrap your hair for 10-15 minutes and remove excess water before using a blow-dryer.
- Overbrush hair; despite the common myth that 100 strokes a day are good for hair, this can lead to breakage. Regular, gentle brushing promotes hair health and natural oil distribution.
- Wait more than eight weeks to get hair trimmed; regular salon visits are essential to keeping hair healthy and beautiful.
National Donate Your Hair Day 2014
We'd love to hear your donation stories- upload your pic from the salon and use hashtag #BeautifulLengths and tag @theeverygirl_!