Budgets, bills, and savings accounts were our focus for February’s #TEG30DayChallenge and just in time for tax season! We now hope you feel a little more in control of your finances and prepared for your future. We even answered some of your questions mid-month to make mastering your income manageable.
After a few too many months of cold weather, we’ve hit what we call the winter blues. Sound familiar? It mostly entails the epic battle against dry skin, satisfying your beach bound wanderlust via Pinterest, and whittling away at your winter gourd stash.
Well, it’s time to take a deep breath and exhale that stale attitude. Anyone recall our summer 30 Days of Motivated Mornings? We do, and those sunshine-filled mornings didn’t just get us out of bed, they got us into the mood to seize the day.
We are embracing that same attitude this month and challenging you to create a morning routine. Morning people are successful people. Just ask any CEO, politician, or professional athlete—they all start their day at the crack of dawn, gaining a leg up on the competition. Creating a routine and setting out to complete a few tasks before your day starts will leave you energized and make you feel accomplished before your day has even begun.
Try your hand at these suggestions:
- Wake up 30 minutes earlier, and actually get up. No snoozing your alarm clock. 30 minutes can make a world of difference when you want to get a little more done or just to simply have a more relaxing morning. Try reading this article for tips on how to wake up feeling refreshed.
- Avoid technology in the morning. No scrolling through Instagram or checking emails from bed. When you start your day, try actually letting it unfold without any digital distraction. Odds are that you stare at screens for most of your work day, so an hour without them won’t be detrimental, promise. It’s a hard habit to break, so try charging your phone away from your bedside—across the room or *gasp* in another room and revert back to a digital alarm clock.
- Get ready. Is beauty your last priority in the morning? Then try using this extra time to develop a skincare routine, refining your makeup skills, or trying something new with your hair. Mascara can do wonders, but the act of spending a little extra time focusing on yourself has more benefit to your happiness.
- Take time for breakfast! It’s the most important meal of the day, so quit skipping it or grabbing it at Starbucks. Try one of these: 10 breakfast bowls, 20 minute morning meals, our reader’s favorite breakfast ideas, and 5 easy breakfast ideas.
- Tackle one task you hate doing and one you love as well. According to The Happiness Project, this is a big one for promoting productivity and happiness throughout the day. Whether it’s last night’s dishes, brushing the dog’s teeth, calling your mother-in-law, or trekking down to the basement and starting a load of laundry, get it out of the way. Do it swiftly and you’ll be glad it’s done. Then reward yourself with a task you enjoy doing: preparing coffee, walking your dog, or making your bed.
- Sweat it out. There’s always the option to work out in the morning when research says our willpower is at its highest point. If cold temperatures prevent you from taking a run, try making a trip to a local studio (we have all your tips for getting work ready post-gym session here) or an at-home workout video that optimizes your living room.
- Plan your day. If you’re anything like us, a completed to-do list makes you feel superhuman. Making a to-do list that isn’t too lofty will give your day structure, allowing you to prioritize and conquer more. A well rounded to-do list always has various levels of difficulty. Putting something as simple as “get gas” on the list will give you a boost as soon as you mark it off, which will motivate you to tackle more strenuous tasks.
Your day doesn’t have to start off with Zen meditation to get you off to a good start, but we think whatever brings your morning to a place of positivity is a worthwhile habit to cultivate, now and forever. Consistency is the key to your morning routine, so make sure you stick to it throughout the month to see the full benefits. We will be checking in all month on social media and sharing our progress and tips, too! Make sure to tag your updates with #TEG30DayChallenge.