Breakfast for dinner–we’ve all been there. It was a late night at the office or there’s only eggs in the fridge, so you whip up said eggs with vegetables or eat a couple bowls of cereal for dinner. But, let’s all be honest, we really enjoy breakfast foods any time of the day, right? It’s a guilty pleasure that let’s us stretch our wallets and be creative with the ingredients left in the refrigerator.
The next time you’re thinking about making breakfast for dinner, make it extra delicious with our version of steak and eggs for under $25. Crispy cubes of steak and the no-fail fried egg is our go-to, and with fresh avocado slices and an herby Chimichurri sauce in just a few simple steps, we bet it’ll be your favorite too. The bulk of the work is prepping the ingredients and then all you have to do is assemble. This recipe makes enough for two, so go on and treat yourself and your bestie!
Ingredients: (yields 2 servings)
1/2 lb. flank steak, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
4-6 small yellow potatoes
2 eggs, fried to your liking
1 Hass avocado, sliced
Salt and pepper, to taste
1/4 c. (or one large handful) parsley
1/4 c. (or one large handful) cilantro
3-5 sprigs of fresh mint
1 clove garlic, minced
Juice of half a lime
1/4-1/2 c. extra virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper
Bake the potatoes:
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Rinse potatoes and cut into 1/2 inch cubes.
3. Lay potatoes on a baking sheet in one layer.
4. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
5. Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden brown and fork tender.
Prep the Chimichurri Sauce:
1. With a sharp knife, finely chop herbs together.
2. Place herbs, garlic, and lime juice into a bowl. With a wooden spoon, mash all the ingredients together to release the flavors.
3. Slowly mix in olive oil and season with salt and pepper to your liking.
4. Set aside for 10-15 minutes to let the flavors marry.
Cook the steak:
1. Season steak cubes with olive oil, salt, and pepper.
2. Heat a heavy botton pan or cast-iron skillet over medium high heat.
3. Cover the bottom of the pan with steak, but do not ovecrowd. Sear steak on all sides until golden brown or until your preferred temperature.
4. Place cooked steak on a plate and cover with aluminum foil until ready to use.
To assemble, place steak on your plate and drizzle with Chimichurri sauce. Then, layer fried egg and avocado slices on top. Serve with baked potatoes and a wedge of lime. Enjoy!