Let’s start this with a confession: I have always hated vegetables.
your one-way ticket to your cool, calm, and collected era
Don’t get me wrong, I eat them — but it requires choking them down and going into auto-pilot to finish them. But, in the name of health, I knew that in 2019, I wanted to figure out a way to get more of them into my body without suffering in the process.
Enter: the green smoothie. I was always turned off by green smoothies because, well, they’re green, but figured out that when you get past the color, you can’t taste the difference between them and your favorite fruity cocktail.
My second phase of this process was trying out a ton of green smoothie recipes and finding out that many of them are bad — like, I’d-rather-choke-down-a-bowl-of-plain-kale-than-drink-this bad. But I marched onward with a vision in mind (me on the train every morning with a healthy drink in hand), determined to master a green smoothie recipe that I loved and wanted to drink every day, and that I could make at home. With much trial and a lot of error, I’ve found hands-down the three best green smoothie recipes, all of which I make every week — say goodbye to paying $10 for a smoothie at a juice bar, and try one of these at home.
1. Mango Peach Green SmoothieSource: Pinch of Yum
This is the best — it tastes like a cocktail I’d rather be drinking on a beach, and is my absolute go-to. I picked up big bags of frozen pineapple, mango, and peaches, and they last me weeks in the freezer (I also feel like these fruits disguise the spinach taste better than berries do). To make it even easier (read: because I’m lazy), I usually don’t measure these ingredients — I just eyeball it and it always turns out amazing. This recipe also calls for ginger and cinnamon, which I’ve found I prefer it without, but adding some is a great way to mix it up. (I also add in a banana when I have them.) Wake up, throw the fruits in your blender, and you’re good to go in less than five minutes. This one is so easy, so I make a variation of it almost every morning.
2. Detoxifying Green SmoothieSource: Making Thyme for Health
This smoothie is perfect for after a wine-filled night when you wake up feeling bloated and off track. It tastes super light and fresh, and afterward makes me feel less bloated. If you don’t like you smoothies super creamy, this one’s for you.
3. Raspberry Smash Super-Green SmoothieSource: Half Baked Harvest
This smoothie is great for when you feel like you need a boost of vitamins and antioxidants. It has a lot going on and it’s worth the effort because it is super flavorful and so good. There’s a ton of good-for-you fruits in this, and it tastes like tropical dream.
- The easiest way to make a green smoothie gag-worthy is not blending it enough. If you can still see chunks of kale or spinach, keep blending.
- The beauty of smoothies is that they’re hard to mess up. If you love one fruit more than another, add it in. Add your superfoods (like chia seeds) or protein (like the Vital Proteins Collagen) into your smoothie for an extra-healthy boost.
- If you need your smoothie to be more filling, add one of these ingredients. It’ll keep you going all morning long.
- Make it easier on yourself by dividing out single-serve portions of fruits into bags in your freezer. Every morning, you can take them out, throw one in the blender, and you’re done — no measuring required.