Whether you’re heading out on a much-needed vacay or jetting off to a different city for work, traveling can be hectic. It usually throws morning and nighttime routines out the window (unless you are #commited to your skincare routine—go you!). But there is one thing that I challenge you to prioritize no matter where your travel takes you or how busy you are: journaling. Regardless of your destination or itinerary, spending some time on a few travel journal prompts each day can completely transform your trip by keeping you present and grounded.
Since plans and responsibilities quickly fill up our days while we’re away, the best time to fit in journaling while you are traveling is in the morning right when you wake up and at night before bed. This list of travel journal prompts will help you jumpstart your day and reflect and unwind before you go to bed. Enjoy!
For when you wake up…
- How do you feel waking up in a new place? Whether they are good or bad, why do you think you are experiencing these feelings?
- What is something new you can try today?
- Describe where you are in detail (sights, smells, sounds, etc.).
- How will you prioritize yourself today?
- How can you show up as your best self today?
- Describe a perfect day on vacation.
- What is one thing that you would like to do or try? How will you make that happen?
- Are you sleeping better or worse than you usually do at home? Why?
- What are two things that you could prioritize that would give you more time, energy, and peace?
- How can you show up better today than you did yesterday?
- List three things that will help you if you start feeling anxious.
- How can you prioritize your health while you are off your normal routine?
- What about your environment inspires you?
- What is something that you want to learn about this week?
- How can you challenge yourself today?
- If you had a free afternoon, what would you do?
For when you’re unwinding…
- What was the most amazing thing you did today?
- If you met new people today, how did that make you feel?
- What is one thing you didn’t get to do today but wish you had? How can you prioritize it for tomorrow?
- Did anything push you outside your comfort zone today? If so, why? If not, how can you push yourself tomorrow?
- Take inventory of how your body is responding to travel. Do you feel relaxed, tense, or somewhere in between?
- What is the best meal you have eaten so far on your trip? How can you recreate it at home?
- What are three things that you have done so far that have made you feel inspired?
- What did you have the most fun doing today?
- How are you showing up right now?
- What can you do to be more present and grounded tomorrow?
- Are you more tired or awake at the end of the day? Why?
- What did you do today that took away from your energy? What added to it?
- What would you like to remember about your trip?
- Does traveling evoke new feelings or creativity for you? How can you explore those things more thoroughly?
- Describe something that you experienced today in detail (sights, smells, sounds, etc.).
- Are you looking forward to going back home after your trip? Why or why not?