The struggle is real. You know—that hair envy we all feel when we scroll through Pinterest or Instagram and see picture after picture of perfectly tousled locks. If only good hair days actually happened more often! That’s why we asked industry-leading hair stylist Amanda Diedrich of Blohaute to share her expert tips on making those lust-worthy Instagram pictures a reality. She shared with us six tips for achieving soft, manageable, healthy hair that you will love. Get ready for some good hair days. #NoFilterNeeded
1. Go on a hair diet.
Every good hairstyle begins with healthy hair. Think of your hair care routine like your makeup routine: Without a good foundation, it’s almost impossible to get a polished look. If your hair isn’t healthy it’s much harder to achieve the trendy styles seen on many celebrities. Healthy hair gives you shine, volume and is much more manageable.
Let’s start by adding a few of these tricks to your daily routine:
- Healthy foods = healthy hair: You know the saying “You are what you eat?” Well, this applies to your hair too. Too much sugar or caffeine can definitely affect the way your hair grows as well as its appearance.
- Moisturize: Especially with the change of seasons, hair tends to get extremely dry. Start by using a deep conditioning treatment or mask once or twice a week. You don’t want to overload the hair with too much protein from deep treatments. Between the blow drying, straightening, and curling heat your hair definitely gets a beating, but make sure not to overdue the treatments. Too much moisture can actually end up causing breakage! Amanda’s favorite: Inphenom Shampoo & Mask Treatment
- Get rid of the build up: Just like your skin, hair tends to hold onto a lot of product. Product build-up causes hair to get heavy and weighed down much faster, as well as loose that pretty shine. Introduce a clarifying shampoo to your routine. But be careful not to use this every time as these shampoos are meant to “exfoliate” the hair and can be a little drying. Try only once every two weeks. Clarifying will remove any excess build up, but be sure to follow with a moisturizing shampoo and conditioner. Amanda’s favorite: Bumble & Bumble Sunday Shampoo
- Cold Shot: As cold as it may be outside, sometimes a hot shower isn’t always the best way to start your day. Try ending your warm shower by rinsing your hair for the last minute with cold water. This helps to close your cuticle, which will help reduce frizz and give you that glimmering shine.
2. Perfect your product.
Hair not cooperating? Many times the problem is simple: You’re using the wrong product. Find what is right for your hair texture and desired style. Luckily, there is a product for everything!
3. Boycott the heat.
Air drying is a total time saver! Try creating an easy and fun hairstyle without even touching the blow dryer. Add a frizz fighting serum or air dry cream (to wet hair) and comb through to distribute evenly. Pull hair up or down and wrap around into either a low or high chignon. The best part? You’ll be totally on trend this season with your pretty sleek topknot bun. Not a fan of the chignon? Try two simple braids at night with hair wet and wake up in the morning to effortless waves!
Amanda’s favorite: Fave4 Up For Air Cream
4. Embrace the bend.
Instead of hours spent perfecting each curl, focus on less is more! Take either a 1¼ or 1½ in curling iron or wand and curl only the middle section of your hair. The hair in front of your ears should be curled away from your face, and then the rest should alternate back and forth. Rock the “lived in” look!
The Everygirl favorites: Want the be-all, end-all curling wand? You absolutely cannot go wrong with the Sultra Bombshell. It’s a life changer.
5. Say hello to texture sprays.
Second day hair is key but it definitely needs a little plumping. Find a Dry Texture Spray—it’ll be your new best friend. Flip your head over and spray into hair and through roots. Flip back, brush out your hair, and just like that you have a Gigi Hadid worthy blowout!
Amanda’s favorite: Fave4 Texture Takeover
6. Add a spritz of perfume.
Worried about the dirty hair smell? Spray your brush with your favorite fall or winter perfume and run the brush through your hair before you start the day.