I’ve really fallen victim to my own hubris in thinking that, as an introvert, social distancing would be no problemo. And yet here I am, two weeks in, having a serious discussion with my cat about the merits of Team Jess versus Team Logan and popping Cheez-Its like Altoids. If, like me, you are looking for many and varied distractions, scroll on.
1. TikTok dances to learn while trapped in the box that is your apartment, ranked from easiest to exsquoz, what?
Listen, talking about TikTok makes me feel like Jen’s grandma on Dawson’s Creek but yes, I did try all of these dances in my apartment and no, I will not release the video footage.
2. This thread legitimately made me tear up. Nothing lifts my spirits like seeing people use their platform to genuinely help other people. We’re all in this together.
if you’re one of the very many people who lost your job or had your hours drastically cutback cuz of coronavirus then shoot me your CashApp
i’ll send people $200 each until we hit $2K
good energy only
— Shea Serrano (@SheaSerrano) March 18, 2020
Shea Serrano is a national treasure. If you’re looking for ways to help, this article lists five practical things you can do while continuing to social distance.
3. Hallmark Channel will air 27 original Christmas movies this weekend to help us all relive more festive times.
Christmas in Rome is LEGIT. Sam Page can have anything of mine he wants OK bye.
4. Two bonded penguins went on a date night at the Shedd Aquarium and yes, that sound you just heard was my heart exploding with joy.
The adventure continues! 🐧🐧
This morning, Edward and Annie explored Shedd’s rotunda. They are a bonded pair of rockhopper penguins, which means they are together for nesting season. Springtime is nesting season for penguins at Shedd, and this year is no different! (1/3) 👇 pic.twitter.com/VdxN3oQAfe
— Shedd Aquarium (@shedd_aquarium) March 16, 2020
Penguin dating > real dating, that is all.
This really made me laugh out loud (in my apartment alone, of course).
May I formally suggest The Bling Ring, which is an absolutely wild ride of Emma Watson’s American accent, Paris Hilton’s house, and the line “Girls! Time for your Adderall!” In case you run out of movies, try these 100 TV shows too.
7. This gentle reminder that you don’t have to be extra productive or working at max capacity at this time. Give yourself the grace and rest you need.
If you’re looking for more goodness, this essay by Haley is something I come back to again and again (and again).
8. And finally, a list of silver linings people have found while social distancing. Lots of smiles in here.
I'm getting bonus time with my high school senior before he leaves for college. We're cooking and baking together. It's wonderful.
— Erika Kerekes (@notketchup) March 19, 2020
This made me want to call my Nana. Call someone you love!